• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke submits act 250 application for new Lift

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Last edited:

Masskier

Wasn't a new lift already act250 approved as part of the "master plan" ( http://www.anr.state.vt.us/site/cfm/act250/detail.cfm?ID=25307 )? Or have they now decided to split it off into its own project?

I don't see anything new in the online Act 250 database: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/site/cfm/act250/search.cfm Note: you have to enter search criteria.

Give them a few days to process the application and work it into the system. Yes, as you know they received the majority of the findings for the master plan act 250, however as they phase in the improvements they will need to amend the act 250 process.

Zand

Funny... I was thinking on my last run today that hopefully I was taking my last ride on that damn lift. We can hope.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Funny... I was thinking on my last run today that hopefully I was taking my last ride on that damn lift. We can hope.
That damn lift will be very much appreciated tomorrow when the winds are honking. :D Thankfully, the Poma will still be there (hopefully in its same length) when the high speeder goes in.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A second lift to the summit, or a replacement for the old chair to the summit?

I'd be interested to know. The plan has changed at least twice. The older regime planned on replacing the Willoughby and relocating the fixed grip to the East Bowl. Ginn had the original plan to shorten the Willoughby to the top of the Poma, cutting the Poma to the elbow, and putting in a new HSQ to the summit in the East Bowl. Some of us at the 2006 passholder night told them that this made no sense because one would need to ride three lifts from Sherburne to get to the top.

Coincidentally, the latest plan I have seen fixed that problem, but bulldozed MidBurke in the process. It shortens the Poma and Willoughby and the new HSQ goes up over Doug's to the summit.

My sources tell me that MidBurke will not be leveled...not quite yet...and the HSQ will go up over Doug's. Not sure if the other lifts will be modified. Leave the Poma alone IMHO!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Leave the Poma alone IMHO!
Indeed. I can't see any good reason to change the Poma in any way. It is great insurance for a high speed lift. We saw what a surface lift can do this past weekend at the AZ Summit. The Loaf would have sucked on Saturday if not for that T-bar. I doubt BMA would be very happy with an altered Poma, either. Especially if they were training or racing on Warren's top to bottom and the HSQ goes down due to wind, a shortened Poma would be terrible for them as well (though a lot of training does only happen on the lower mountain). I have enjoyed powder days at Burke riding the Poma when the Quad was down. It is a great option.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Indeed. I can't see any good reason to change the Poma in any way. It is great insurance for a high speed lift. We saw what a surface lift can do this past weekend at the AZ Summit. The Loaf would have sucked on Saturday if not for that T-bar. I doubt BMA would be very happy with an altered Poma, either. Especially if they were training or racing on Warren's top to bottom and the HSQ goes down due to wind, a shortened Poma would be terrible for them as well (though a lot of training does only happen on the lower mountain). I have enjoyed powder days at Burke riding the Poma when the Quad was down. It is a great option.

I agree. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus it is easier to just let it be and cheaper.....

Masskier

The willoughby and Poma will stay as they are. In fact there have been lots of improvements made to the Poma over the past few years. Also the Poma is considered to be a huge asset to BMA and the junior race program. The timing/warming hut will be removed and a new modern building will be built close by.

Ridgeman

Was at Burke for the first time last January with 0 to 5 temps. The Willoughby lift was painfully cold and slow. By the time we got to the top our toes were frozen. The new HSQ would enable alot more runs per day. If they doze MidBurke I hope they can preserve the bar part, one of the best post ski spots I have been at.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If they doze MidBurke I hope they can preserve the bar part, one of the best post ski spots I have been at.

A lot of locals will not be happy if they knock down Burkie's Bar. It is in a good location and has a really laid back old school vibe. It is also a good counterpoint to the much more polished Tamarack Bar in that is in the base lodge. If Burke does plan to remove the entire building, there is some mumbling from the locals about actually deconstructing the section that contains the bar and re-erecting it somewhere else (either on or near the mtn).

Masskier

A lot of locals will not be happy if they knock down Burkie's Bar. It is in a good location and has a really laid back old school vibe. It is also a good counterpoint to the much more polished Tamarack Bar in that is in the base lodge. If Burke does plan to remove the entire building, there is some mumbling from the locals about actually deconstructing the section that contains the bar and re-erecting it somewhere else (either on or near the mtn).

Mid Burke stays as is. They moved the location of the lift some, so they wouldn't have to take down Mid Burke

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Mid Burke stays as is. They moved the location of the lift some, so they wouldn't have to take down Mid Burke

Okay then, what changes were made?

Roughly the "Original plan":
HSQline_OriginalPlan.jpg

Move Right:
HSQline_Option2.jpg

Move Left:
HSQline_Option1.jpg

I prefer a move to the right since it would be less of a slog from the Willoughby side and it doesn't interfere with as many existing trails. My guess this adjustment would also be behind the new race timing building I've been hearing about since the existing one is in the way of this new line.

Masskier

Okay then, what changes were made?

Roughly the "Original plan":
HSQline_OriginalPlan.jpg

Move Right:
HSQline_Option2.jpg

Move Left:
HSQline_Option1.jpg

I prefer a move to the right since it would be less of a slog from the Willoughby side and it doesn't interfere with as many existing trails. My guess this adjustment would also be behind the new race timing building I've been hearing about since the existing one is in the way of this new line.

You have almost the exact location (middle photo) move right.